Old Book Log - Ewing, Robinson
More brief impressions from my two-week book log from 2000.
SCANDAL'S REWARD by Jean R. Ewing

Author's first book, a Regency derivative of a lot of other good books. Dorothy Dunnett is obviously an influence. Heyer too. Too studied an imitation of a lot of others. It had potential but didn't suck me in. Traditional Regency. (3 out of 5)
SCANDAL'S REWARD wasn't my first Ewing. I've been reading her since her first Regency historical, ILLUSION, w/a Jean Ross Ewing. And of course now I read her Julia Ross books. You can definitely throw the influence of Mary Balogh in there as well.
LADY GALLANT by Suzanne Robinson

Surprisingly good! Set in (pre-)Elizabethan times, a dashing courtier with secrets to hide finds himself falling in love with a "mouse" attending the queen. Lots of emotion. I actually cried at the big misunderstanding. And laughed at the witty parts. I liked the heroine very much indeed and loved the hero. I must try the next book, LADY DEFIANT, which is surely Blade's story. (5 out of 5)
These days, I'd consider LADY GALLANT to be one of my all-time favorite romances (along with a 100+ others, I'm sure, but I've read thousands.) I've heard people bitch about the hero's cruelty, but that's what made it so harrowing and unforgettable. I'd nominate this book for a best grovel award. And Blade's story was indeed good. The biggest tragedy is that Robinson's romances steadily became less interesting over time. I don't think she's even publishing romances anymore, and I've never tried her mysteries.


4 Comments:
Lady Gallant looks good.
Scribbling it down on some random scrap of paper--positive I'll lose it.
I remember being chagrined I hadn't discovered this 1991 book until 2000. Suzanne Robinson totally flew under my radar during the best years of her romance writing.
Do try it, Suisan! CW, I did a rare re-reading for LG, too, a couple of years ago. It held up.
I'm with you on Lady Gallant. And your right! I think the "grovel" scene the hero does is one of the best ever.
And I did not know that Julia Ross aka Jean R Ewing had Regency books!!! I'll have to track them down
PS - I love finding new reader blogs!!!! Belated welcome
Hi Kristie,
Thanks for dropping by! I'm glad I discovered your blog, too. I've already added the Diane Gaston book you just blogged about to my Amazon wish list.
Post a Comment
<< Home