Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Reviews - Roberts, Sizemore, Whiteside

RED LILY by Nora Roberts

Story about young lovers. She's pregnant with someone else's baby; he's the son of her benefactress. Nice, but where was the romantic tension? Also, I've never been interested in crazy villains or ghost stories, ergo the suspense plot didn't interest me. This feel-good book was not a keeper.

SCANDALOUS MIRANDA by Susan Sizemore


Disappointing. I'm a fan of Susan Sizemore's books. She strikes me as a naturally gifted storyteller, but this one was a snooze. A Victorian woman hires a secretary bodyguard to accompany her back to Italy, where, a year earlier, she'd stumbled into the path of an assassination attempt. She'd been injured, temporarily blinded, and nursed by an Italian bandit whom she secretly longs to find again. What she didn't know was that the Italian bandit was really a top-notch Scottish assassin, and he's the man she's just unwittingly hired. What potential, but the verve and excitement were missing, as if Sizemore's heart wasn't in this book.

THE SWITCH by Diane Whiteside

This book showed up unasked on my doorstep from the publisher, but I figured I'd read it because I'd met Whiteside once years ago when she was still an aspiring writer.

The book was OK. It's about a long-time celibate widower ex-Army Ranger (I think) who secretly wants to be dominated. He meets a high-powered high-finance type in Seattle, they size each other up, and they do their fantasy domination and submission thing. She, however, is looking for a man who is able to be both top and bottom, and isn't willing to fall in love with anyone who isn't naturally both.

It was a very warm and fuzzy pervy book. All was respectful between the couple; the power dynamics didn't make me queasy. I liked seeing a deviation from the usual sexual roles in romance novels. I cannot stand alpha-jerks, but the funny thing is I felt a niggling disdain at this really nice guy as well, because I saw him as being made weak by having to hide his socially unacceptable desires. (And I really do think it was this particular character I didn't warm up to; Kinsale's Allegretto is one of my all-time favorites.)

Anyway, Whiteside has a very readable writing style--the kind that gets you a wide audience a la Linda Howard or Jayne Ann Krentz--so I expect she'll be quite successful. The long fantasy scenario sequences she added in disrupted the narrative force of the story, I thought, but I figure it must have been tough to pad this book from the shorter version that had previously been published by Ellora's Cave.

Spoiler alert for this paragraph:

This entry would be way too long if I talked about what interested me and what annoyed me about the story. There was a lot. Noteworthy that heroine was half-Japanese. Squicky was that the hero involved his 18-year-old son in a kidnapping sequence at the end of the book that proves to the heroine he can be dominant. I think allowing your son to aid in your sexual escapades, even if it means helping you win the heart of the woman you love, is just a tad disgusting. On the heroine's side, I guess it's refreshingly honest, if not completely sympathy-inducing, for her to give this wonderful guy the brush-off because he can't fulfill (so she thinks) her own deep-rooted sexual needs.

OK, so I pretty much ended up talking about all the things that annoyed me. What else is a blog for anyway, if not for that?

4 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, January 11, 2006, Blogger sybil said...

damn publisher fairy's never leave books for me

So is there a lot added to the new copy? I have an e copy, a printed EC copy with uh something by Marly Chance I think. So going and spending more money is hard to do.

Your squicky item was my only big problem with the book. I really do like it, of course I like the switch idea vs all the BDSM that seems to be hitting us these days. It was different but the kid thing? I mean he is 18. So ok. And I thought the throwing him condoms thing was funny. But the end part left me with a wtf?

 
At 11:31 AM, January 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to track down The Irish Devil and the River Devil. They never did come out on the shelves here. I'm waiting 'til I have quite a few to order so I can save on shipping.

 
At 8:52 PM, January 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I never read THE SWITCH as an ebook, but a comment someplace said she had to write more for this version.

I read THE IRISH DEVIL, Kristie, and felt much the same way about it as I did THE SWITCH: readable, but didn't love it. But she does seem to be gaining a lot of fans.

 
At 4:20 PM, January 14, 2006, Blogger sybil said...

oh crap kristie! NOW you tell me... hmph. I have seen TID for as low as 2.99.

P. When you get a second can you email me - redwyne at gmail dot com

please and thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home