Sunday, January 22, 2006

Publisher Fairy Books

I somehow got on a publisher mailing list I'm too lazy to get myself off of. Getting free books isn't exactly a hardship.

This month's surprise offering is Michele Bardsley's CUPID, INC., which is labeled as "An Erotic Novel." A more accurate description would be "light-hearted collection of erotic romances." I'd rate it 3 out of 5 mainly because the stories were underdeveloped and the premise was strained. But it was a fast, entertaining read with likable characters and cute romances. Bardsley seemed to be having a lot of fun here. Also, I guess the stories were sexy, but I didn't really detect an erotic charge.

Here's the set-up of the framing story: Greek gods Psyche and Eros establish a sex fantasy service business in Las Vegas as a way to get couples together. Eros' mom, Aphrodite, interferes quite a bit, and other Greek mythological characters pop up here and there. The four main stories are about
  1. a virgin secretary with an office sex fantasy who accidentally gets matched up with Cupid, Inc.'s accountant,
  2. a wedding chapel owner who wins a Cupid, Inc. date with a gun-shy Hollywood movie star (obviously based on Keanu Reeves),
  3. a women's magazine writer with a mile-high-sex fantasy who is paired up with a men's magazine editor, and
  4. a waitress with a spy fantasy who is paired with a suave ex-thief, complete with British accent, to outwit bad guys and steal a golden apple (sounds more like a cat-burglar fantasy, doesn't it?).

So, I was a huge Greek myth fangirl growing up, and this amusing interpretration of the characters is appealing. But, c'mon, the Greek gods settling in Las Vegas was a stretch despite the tongue-in-cheek presentation. Also, because these romantic comedy novellas are focused on sexual encounters between two people who had just met, the true love part felt strained regardless of whether the gods of love were involved or not. But this book was fun enough that I'd consider reading more Bardsley.

By the way, scanning my TBR stacks for a new book to read--I think I've decided upon Eloisa James' KISS ME, ANABEL--I saw I'd received a trade paperback last month from Signet Eclipse, too. SUITE FANTASY, by Janice Maynard. This was another collection of stories, this one revolving around an exclusive hotel that caters to fantasies. I read two out of three stories, but nothing here really grabbed me. Again, these were firmly erotic romances, and on the sweet side at that, but the way the book is packaged would indicate it's more mainstream erotica. I think the publishers are missing the boat here. They should position these to appeal, I'm thinking, to readers of Brava books.

6 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Rosario said...

Psyche and Eros? I'm reading Roberta Gellis' version of the Psyche and Eros myth right now! Have you tried it? If you liked Greek myths, you should enjoy it. The title is Shimmering Splendor.

 
At 1:57 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I want to be on a publisher's mailing list. I'm the biggest free book whore around. ;)Where do I sign up?

 
At 3:03 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What jay said goes for me, too!

I've seen a couple of Greek myths repackaged as romance novels recently. Don't remember the titles, but I think the author was Alice Fields or something like that. The one that I picked up (and put back down) was the tale of Persephone/Proserpina and Pluto/Hades. I think the next one was about Aphrodite or Athena.

 
At 8:10 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all accident, I assure you! I used to get review books from another division of this publisher and in another genre entirely. Somehow my name ended up in this database.

 
At 8:24 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the Roberta Gellis mythological fantasy books. Although just having scanned my bookshelves, I didn't keep the romance-published ones:

° DAZZLING BRIGHTNESS (Persephone and Hades)
° SHIMMERING SPLENDOR (Eros and Psyche)
° ENCHANTED FIRE (Orpheus and Euridyce)

Hmm, looks like the third one is now collectible. I do still own the fantasy-published books in the series:

° BULL GOD (Dionysus and Ariadne) and
° THRICE BOUND (Hecate)

I really liked BULL GOD. Didn't like THRICE BOUND.

JMc, I did indeed see those in the bookstore. Greek myth and romance novel combos ought to be like catnip for me, yet I thought Alicia Fields' books looked incredibly stupid. I don't plan to read them.

 
At 6:05 AM, January 24, 2006, Blogger sybil said...

Isn't it how it always works... those who don't want them get them.

So not right I tell ya... But I do recall giving you a way to help save space :). Just saying...

hee I haven't heard of the books, so do tell us if they are any good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home