Sunday, January 15, 2006

Harlequin Presents - April 2006

Thank goodness these reviews will be so much shorter than the ones for the March 2006 Harlequin Presents. That's because most of the books were crap.

Penny Jordan - The Italian Duke's Wife (HP #2529)
Pathologically-virgin-heroine crap

Emma Darcy - Traded to the Sheikh (HP #2530)
Sheikh fantasy crap

Julia James - Shackled by Diamonds (HP #2531)
Model-blackmailed-as-mistress crap

Sarah Morgan - Public Wife, Private Mistress (HP #2532)
Ex-wife-blackmailed-back crap

Anne McAllister - The Antonides Marriage Deal (HP #2533)
OK, this one was good. The Greek-American hero is de-facto running the family marine construction business in Brooklyn that he salvaged from his inept father's custody. The Greek-American heroine has been trying to get her father to take her business ambitions seriously. Through a bet between the dads, she becomes President of hero's company. They soon realize there is a matchmaking agenda, but fall in love anyway. Miracle of miracles, this one actually had touches of good-natured humor at the expense of the hero, too.

Kay Thorpe - Bought by a Billionaire (HP #2534)
Utter, utter crap about blackmailing woman to be wife. And Leonie and Vidal--weren't those mother-and-son Heyer characters?

Subscriber-Only Editions:

Kim Lawrence - Her Baby Secret (HP #271)
Crap that actually had potential. I liked the icy control-freak heroine a lot before she quickly became too stupid to live.

Cathy Williams - The Rich Man's Mistress (HP #272)
Crap about a useless socialite who is shamed by hero into having a real career--interior decorating.

5 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Suisan said...

And you read all these craptastic books? What keeps you going? Because I would just decide that everything out there was crap and stop dead in my tracks.

I am in Awe of your dedication. (But if you want another go around I can send you my copy of Treading Lightly. Hee Hee. OK, maybe not.)

 
At 2:20 PM, January 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you make yourself read all of the HPs every month? I'm reduced to picking up specific authors only. Every time I break that rule, I regret it...I always wish I'd simply burned the four dollars, instead of wasting brain cells and encouraging poor writers to think they're doing well.

When did Emma Darcy succumb to the royalty/shiekh pressure? One of her older ones (Marriage Meltdown, maybe?) is one of the better categories I've read about an already-married couple.

 
At 11:17 PM, January 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read all these books for the love I have for you all, my fellow readers. This way only one of us has to sacrifice for the greater good.

If the bare-bones formulas in these books were actually coupled with good writing, they'd take over the world.

And JMc, I know. Emma Darcy is usually one of the better authors.

 
At 9:49 PM, January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. - Although I must admit the Emma Darcy was a cut above the other books I didn't like this month. I'd have rated it a 3 out of 5. The others would have been 1s or 2s.

 
At 8:18 AM, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll probably pick up the Darcy book, just to see how it is...normally I avoid sheikh books at all costs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home