Sunday, January 29, 2006

Notes from March RT Bookclub

Sybil can't decide what to do with her Romantic Times BOOKclub magazines. As I said on her blog, I get 'em, read 'em, toss 'em. (This is better than what I used to do, which was get them, let them sit in their wrapper for a few months, then toss them away unread.) I will now add a new component to the mix; I will blog about things I found interesting in each issue before recycling it.

Keeper Werewolf Romances

HarperCollins is re-releasing Donna Boyd's THE PASSION and THE PROMISE! (The new cover art only is up at Amazon.) These were fantastic contemporary werewolf romances. I think Boyd may have been slightly ahead of the massive explosion in fantasy romance, which is why she didn't take. That is, I'm assuming a lack of sales is why she only wrote two books in this series and then moved on. But maybe she was just bored?

Boyd also wrote some wonderful werewolf romances for the Silhouette Shadows line as Rebecca Flanders.

In any case, so glad these are being re-issued. The first time around, these books were packaged as fiction rather than romances. I wonder where they'll end up in the bookstore this time around?

Possibly My Least Favorite Genre

Jill Barnett has written "another tearjerking family saga," which will be released this June by Atria, called the THE DAYS OF SUMMER. Sounds just like the kind of book I don't like to read. It's too bad she can't or won't write medeival romances anymore. WONDERFUL and WICKED and WILD were so good.

An Author Returns

After an absence of six years, Gail Link has a new book out in March, 2006, called LUCK OF THE DRAW. She's notable in my mind for her early 90s romances WOLF'S EMBRACE and NEVER CALL IT LOVING. One of them--I can't remember which--was a great Beauty and the Beast retelling. RT only gives the new one 3 stars, for what it's worth. I think I'll be skipping it, mostly because it looks like a Western.

Author Endorsement Backfire

The ad for Dawn Thompson's THE WATERLORD looked interesting--I guess paranormals always get a glance from me--but then I saw at the bottom that she had an author endorsement from Bertrice Small. I've never gotten into Small's stories, so this turned me right off.

New Author, Same Old Profession

The new authors page featured Lilith Saintcrow and Heather Grothaus. I was already aware of Saintcrow (and she's apparently been published by a small press before.) Grothaus' write-up, however, got a look from me because her book is a medieval, and I want to be open-minded, in a token sort of way, to other sub-genres in romance. I got as far as the following:
"Haith grows up feeling guilty--for her parents' affair, for even being there. She becomes an apprentice healer...."
And there's where my brain screeched to a halt. So much for something different. The title is THE WARRIOR.

10 Comments:

At 1:58 AM, January 30, 2006, Blogger meljean brook said...

One of my favorite werewolf romances is Flander's WAITING FOR THE WOLF -- I *love* that book. I remember reading THE PASSION and liking it, except for the sense of real disdain the werewolves had for humans that never seemed to wane. (It's been a while, but I think that's why I didn't keep it.) The Silhouette Shadows series had a similar feeling to it, but maybe because it wasn't as overwhelming, or the characters more likeable? ...okay, now I'm going to have to look it up again and see what it was.

Healer-heroines...grrr. I like healer heroes, though. Dunno why.

 
At 1:42 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked the second of the two books, but I can't remember which one it is, The Passion or The Promise. And one of the re-released Silhouette Shadows. Tried her book The Alchemist and was not wowed. Does this re-release herald a return to her older series, do you think?

 
At 5:22 PM, January 30, 2006, Blogger sybil said...

Love this idea!!!!!! Great one ;). hee I think I circled Gail Link to look up more info on her cuz it was a western ;).

 
At 5:42 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Haith grows up feeling guilty--for her parents' affair, for even being there."

That doesn't even make sense....

Meanwhile, is it me or are the captchas getting longer? I swear this one like 14 letters.

 
At 9:18 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All her werewolf books blend together in my mind, sharing a patina of goodness. I don't know what the re-release means, but I hope for good things. (THE ALCHEMIST has been in my TBR pile forever, because, you know, the hero didn't seem to be the hirsute kind.)

Name me a healer hero, Meljean? I can only think of a doctor hero in a very old Catherine Coulter book.

Jay, to give the author of the article credit, the line does make more sense in context.

And there do seem to be one or two more characters in the verification. Effing A. This is my second try, too.

 
At 11:17 PM, January 30, 2006, Blogger erika said...

Found your blog when I was blog surfing. Nice to see someone else is an Harlequin Presents subscriber too.
Oh, too bad Jill Barnett is moving on to Wom. Fic. she was an autobuy.

 
At 1:30 AM, February 13, 2006, Blogger CindyS said...

First, a huge thank you for saving me the TEN BUCKS up here in Canada for those RT magazines!! I've only ever bought one and felt promptly ripped off.

Now I just have to come here ;)

CindyS

 
At 11:19 AM, February 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm still trying to decide whether a subscription to RT offers me value for half the price you pay. But now that I've discovered its use as fodder for one or two blog posts a month, I'm considering continuing with it.

 
At 7:50 AM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Anna Carrasco Bowling said...

Gail Link is back? Gail Link is back? Woot! ::happy dance:: Never Call it Loving was the Beauty and the Beast story, and a DIK for me.

But the new one is a western? ::kicks can:: Ah well. I'm still glad to see her back.

 
At 10:47 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What have we got against Westerns anyway? Not enough glamour? With Westerns, I feel that if Maggie Osborne didn't write it, I don't want to read it.

Thanks for identifying which of the two Gail Link books I was thinking of!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home