Sunday, February 05, 2006

Plog?

I went to Amazon just now to update my wishlist and was greeted with a Plog. Oh, let us not forget the trademark: Plog™. These seem to be Amazon-hosted author blogs, with the feeds chosen for me apparently based on books I have bought from Amazon. As I only buy hardcover and trade paperback books from there, the default list of authors who showed up is skewed:


Interesting. I think I'd only find such a service useful if an author who didn't already have a blog or who was terrible about updating her Web site used this Plog thing. I don't think that's the case with any of these four.

Although it's also true I don't visit any of these authors' sites or blogs. So I guess generally I'm in favor of passive delivery of targeted information, and it could well have the effect of bringing forthcoming releases to my attention from authors, say, in the chick-lit genre. Who are the authors showing up on your default Plog?

7 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, February 06, 2006, Blogger Rosario said...

I can't see mine! Where should I be looking? In the home page?

 
At 6:48 PM, February 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, it was on the home page. Here's what Amazon has to say. Maybe it's only automatic if you've bought a book by a participating author??

Why can't I see my Plog?

Your Plog will be visible on the home page of Amazon.com if you have signed in and a participating Amazon Connect author whom you’ve purchased a book from or signed up to receive posts from sends you a message. See the Amazon Connect Help page for information on how to sign up to receive author posts.

To sign into Amazon.com and view your Plog, visit our home page and click on the "Sign in to get personalized recommendations" link that appears at the top center of the page below the blue navigation bar. After you sign in, you'll be directed to the Your Recommendations page. To get back to the home page where your Plog appears, click on the Amazon.com tab at the top of the screen. Your Plog will be visible in the center of the screen or minimized to the upper right-hand corner of the screen if you have not received a new message in 3 days.

 
At 1:42 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger Tara Marie said...

Plog?? Clueless here, ahs never heard of this. I'll have to check out my account.

Plug+Blog=Plog??

 
At 10:44 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Nicole said...

For some reason, only Donna Andrews shows up for me.

 
At 9:51 PM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it stands for "personalized blog," but I could be wrong.

Nicole, I guess I happen to read authors who like to aggressively market themselves! I can't wait to see who else shows up on my Plog.

It won't be Donna Andrews, though, as I've never read her books. Is she any good?

 
At 10:02 PM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also weird in the same vein, one of my gmail accounts (userid: kalitopi) has the "chat within gmail" feature turned on as of this evening.

Yet my other gmail account is still telling me this feature will soon be made available.

This uneven rollout of new features is interesting.

(I'm assuming anyone with a gmail account to whom I've sent email will show up on my buddy list. Hello, redwyne, my one and only correspondent!)

 
At 9:09 AM, February 16, 2006, Blogger ag said...

hey, I just saw the same chat within gmail msg too when I logged into my acct earlier. hmmm... I should look out for you both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home