Saturday, February 04, 2006

Ye Olde Book Log - Cameron, Denton, Foley

I'll do almost anything to avoid writing reviews of books I read unless I feel super passionate about them. Luckily, I can still find review content for this blog from a reading journal I managed to keep for a whopping two weeks back in the year 2000. I remember nothing about any here but the third book, which I have since re-read.

MORE AND MORE by Stella Cameron

Set in 1820 London, this seems to be the first in a series on the tenants of 7 Mayfair. I've always loved stories of intelligent spinsters matching wits with a desirable lord, in this case a viscount neighbor. But as usual, Cameron failed to deliver. Too much suspense, kinky sex scenes featuring the villains, smug humor, and strained dialogue ruined the book for me. This is the worst of Quick and Coulter. (2 out of 5)

This may have been the last straw for me as far as Stella Cameron's books were concerned. Maybe I read one more. To me, she is a prime example of an author whose books I want to like more than I actually do. Very frustrating.

SYDNEY'S SEDUCTION by Jamie Denton (Blaze #748)

Astrophysicist Derek is in love with oblivious friend from childhood, veterinarian Sydney, who has recently returned to town. She gets artificially inseminated and involved with Derek, but she has huge trust issues that he has to overcome. Nice romance, but the heroine's fears were more exasperating than sympathetic. (3 out of 5)

This was my first and last book read by Jamie Denton.

PRINCE CHARMING by Gaelen Foley

Heir to the throne Rafael is known as Rafe the Rake. He's slowly being destroyed by a life of dissipation because he has no real responsibilities. He's not taken seriously, hobbled as he is by a disastrous, public display of bad judgment in the past (see PRINCESS.) Then he runs into highwaywoman Daniela Chiaramonte, and his life will never be the same. She helps him redeem himself in his own eyes, and those of his parents and the public. Deeply passionate. Utterly romantic. Very satisfying read. (5 out of 5)

PRINCE CHARMING was the third book in the terrific Ascension Trilogy, although book one, THE PIRATE PRINCE, was my least favorite of all her books. If it hadn't included an electrifying excerpt from PRINCESS in the back, I'm not sure I would have continued to read Foley. Which would have been a tragedy because she scored an amazing hat trick with her next three books: PRINCESS, PRINCE CHARMING, and THE DUKE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home