Meeting Favorite Authors
Here is a panel at the Boskone science fiction convention that caught my eye (via Making Light.)
Friday, 5 PM, Gardner
Five Things You Should Never Say to Your Favorite Authors When You Meet Them
I am dying to know, what are those five things? I can be terribly socially inept, completely tactless in fact, which is one reason I stay away from authors beyond surface courtesy.
My instinct is to say something completely honest like, "Oh, I'm a big fan of the books you wrote ten years ago." Or I just want to hound them about sequel information and the like. "Why did you stop writing medievals? They were your best work." And once when an author said the books at her table were part of a family series but could be read alone, I blurted out, "Yeah, that's what all authors say." Oops.
That's not to say I don't gush when I get on an adrenaline high at a big group signing. That's when I truly have no idea what starts coming out of my mouth.
I did have one friend (who, like me, is more thinker-judger than touchy-feely) who saw nothing wrong with questioning an author about historical mistakes in her book. It made my hair stand on end when she told me.
Have any of you made authors wince in real life?


4 Comments:
Living in Hicksville *G* I have yet to meet an author face to face. :( I would hope I don't say anything that would be cringe-worthy. :)
LOL
I have never been to a signing. I ALMOST went to one Saturday but I don't read either author.
While I've lived in places authors have actually visited for signings, my memories are based on traveling hours to meet with other online readers at huge group signings put on by regional RWA chapters at their annual conventions. Fun!
No, it's great to go to a signing! If you don't mind paying full price for a book. And being social and flattering. And feeling awkward and rude if you only want to buy the book of one author, but there are two sitting side-by-side. Other than that, it's all good. :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home